EASLEY — The 30th annual S.C. Northwestern District III of the National Federation of Music Clubs held its Junior Festival on March 1 at Rock Springs Baptist Church in Easley. Seven local piano teachers entered students to be judged by music professionals.
The Junior Festival program is designed to promote study and stimulate interest in American and world music literature, and to encourage participation to reach a high standard of musical achievement. Students perform and receive evaluation in a non-competitive setting.
The following students were selected to represent the Easley area in the state recital at the Junior Convention to be held in May at the Newberry Opera House in conjunction with the S.C. Federation of Music Clubs’ Convention:
• Grace Chen, daughter Liang Chen and Heather Hanna, and Bob and Diane Owen. She is an eighth-grade student at Pickens Middle School and a student of Gilda Hendricks.
• Katie Gibson, daughter of Brian and Susan Gibson. She is a senior at Easley High School and a student of Tiffany Short.
• Duncan Henderson, son of Chad and Amy Henderson. He is a sixth-grade home-school student and the student of Nance Owens.
Alternate representatives include:
• Mallorie Newman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Len Newman. She is a 10th grade student at Pickens High School and a student of Helen Batson.
• Lauren Knutson, daughter of Tomm and Heather Knutson. She is an eighth-grade student at Dacusville Middle School and a student of Gilda Hendricks.
• Jake Bowen, son of Jonathan and Michelle Bowen. He is a sixth-grade student at Getty’s Middle school and a student of Judy Granger.
Honorable Mentions include Amy Looper, daughter of James and Tamala Looper and an 11th grade home-school student; Sabrina Stewart, daughter of Phil and Frances Stewart, is a seventh-grade student at Pickens Middle School and student of Helen Batson; and Ben Freeman, son of Todd and Kim Freeman, is a fifth-grade student at Forest Acres Elementary School and a student of Judy Granger.