August 6, 2014
PENDLETON — The Summer Winds quilt block at the Pendleton Branch Library of the Anderson County Library System is a quilt block sponsored by Greeta G. Peden who has made the cloth quilt pattern numerous times as gifts for family and friends.
She keeps using this creative block because of the different ways it is perceived. Some see fish, some see flowers, while others just notice the geometry involved.
Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns attributes the block to Nancy Page, a syndicated column written by Florence LaGanke for mail order patterns that ran in numerous periodicals circa 1925 to 1940.
Peden lives in Pendleton and has been meeting on Mondays and Thursdays with her Sit and Sew Group of fellow quilters for several years there. Peden learned to sew on a machine in her home economics class taught by Sister Antonio Marie in the 1950s. She didn’t begin quilting until age 67 and is a self-proclaimed “late” bloomer.
Pendleton’s first library was founded in 1811 as the Pendleton Circulating Library. Its building and collection were incorporated into the Pendleton Male Academy in 1825. The Academy was located on Queen Street, where the Anderson County School District Four offices are today.