February 5, 2014
• Hampton Memorial Library, 304 Biltmore Road in Easley, presents a program at 4 p.m. on how to make secret Valentines. The program is free and open to all teens. Call 864-850-7077 for more information.
• A benefit blood drive is held from noon to 5 p.m. at Wal-Mart in Easley for Konnor Rice, a local toddler who has been diagnosed with neuroblastoa, a rare infant/childhood cancer. All donors will receive a free T-shirt.
• Hampton Memorial Library, 304 Biltmore Road in Easley, presents Storytime on the Spectrum at 6:30 p.m. Participants will hear Valentine’s Day stories and make cards. The program is geared toward children with special needs and their families. Call 864-850-7077 for more information.
• Village Library, 124 N. Catherine St. in Pickens, presents a program at 4:30 p.m. on how to make secret Valentines. The program is free and open to all teens. Call 864-850-7077 for more information.
• The Core Ensemble performs the chamber music theatre work “Of Ebony Embers: Vignettes of the Harlem Renaissance” at Southern Wesleyan University at 7:30 p.m. in the Newton Hobson Chapel and Fine Arts Center on the SWU campus. Admission is free. Call 864-644-5404 for more information.
• Switchfoot is in concert with Kopecky Family Band as special guests at 8 p.m. in the Newton Hobson Fine Arts Center at Southern Wesleyan University. Tickets are $40 for artist circle, $25 general admission and $20 group tickets. General admission tickets for students are $20. Call 864-644-5328 for more information or for tickets. Doors open at 7 p.m.
• The Central Railroad Festival is held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in historic downtown Central with free entertainment, free tours of the Central Railway Museum, hands-on activities for youngsters and more.
• The Arts Council of Pickens County meets at 7:30 p.m. the second Monday of each month at Starving Artist Cafe, 114 NW Main St. in Easley. The group is open to those wanting to build support for the arts. Visit artscouncilofpickens.wix.com for more information.
• The Easley Rotary Club meets from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. each Tuesday at West End Hall in the Carr Center, 201 S. 5th St. in Easley.
• Easley Newcomers & Friends meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Capt. Kimberly Hampton Public Library, 304 Biltmore Road in Easley. The social is at 10 a.m. and the meeting is at 10:30 a.m. Guests are welcome. Call Gloria Kouvolo at 864-843-1403 for more information.
• The Confection Connection of the Upstate meets at 7 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 1200 Powdersville Road in Easley. Call 864-859-4252 or send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Outside Pickens County
SC Works holds a hiring event from 9 a.m. to noon at Feb. 7 at Tri-County Technical College’s Anderson Campus, 511 Michelin Boulevard in Anderson. Employers attending will include First Quality Tissue, Walgreens, Sapa Extrusions and Chomarat.
The South Carolina Archives exhibit “521 All Stars: A Championship Story of Baseball and Community” is on display at Hunter’s Store in downtown Pendleton from Feb. 7 through Feb. 21. Hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Admission is free.
African-American Heritage Day is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Feb. 8 at the Woodburn Historic House, 130 History Lane in Pendleton. Admission is $6 for adults, $2 for children ages 5-10 and free for children under age 5. Students from Anderson School District 4 are admitted free when accompanied by an adult.
The Distinguished Young Women of Anderson County scholarship program is held at 5 p.m. Feb. 8 in the Pendleton High School auditorium. Tickets are $5 and will be sold at the door. The overall winner will represent Anderson County in the Distinguished Young Women of South Carolina scholarship program in July.
Holocaust scholar Dr. Eva Fogelman speaks about altruistic behavior during the Nazi Holocaust at 7 p.m. Feb. 5 in Daniel Memorial Chapel on the Furman University campus. Admission is free. Contact Susan Bennett at 864-294-2133 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Community Calendar items can be submitted in writing to P.O. Box 709, Easley, S.C. 29641; in person at 205 Russell St.; via fax to 864-855-6825; or via email at email@example.com. Call 864-855-0355 for more information. Items run on a space-available basis.